Friday, August 5, 2011

Deep Fried Goodies

The other day I mentioned that the Calgary Stampede was in town.  Brad and I were given some free admission and Grandstand show tickets so we spent one evening on the Stampede Grounds.  Before our show started we were sure to pick up our usual Stampede food, the frozen, chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick and also the pizza bread wrapped pepperoni sticks.  Both of them are super delicious and we buy them every year.  I fell into the lemonade trap and was really disappointed but I was also really interested in the deep fried Twinkies.  They sound delicious but I just wasn't willing to spend $4 for one Twinkies so I skipped it but couldn't stop thinking about it.  We were recently down in Magrath for the annual celebration and with family around it seemed the perfect time to pull out the deep fryer and the Twinkies.  We didn't stop there though...

None of these pictures are mine because it was late at night and they would have been super crappy.  Also, I didn't use recipes from any of the sites where I found the pictures, we battered them all in funnel cake batter and fried until they were golden.

We started with the Twinkie since that's what started the experiment and they ended up being my favourite of the evening.  Just be careful you don't cook them too long or the cream filling melts into the cake, not bad but not as good as visible filling.  Also, we skipped putting a stick in them and ours weren't this brown, they kind of look like corn dogs don't they?


After the success of the Twinkies we moved onto some Twix bars.  They were really delicious but none of us really loved how crunchy the cookie was, the melted caramel was sure good though.  Good enough that I ate two of them (on two different nights).


Most people's favourite though ended up being the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  These things are seriously delicious, buy one if you ever see them!


So that ended our deep fry fest for at least a year, definitely can't do it often.


Next on our list of awesomely ridiculous foods to try is the Doughnut Hamburger.

That's right, the bun is a doughnut.  Sweet and savoury here we come.

7 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

I am SO glad to hear/see your experience with deep frying already good goodies. Last year at Thanksgiving, when the deep fryer was out and full of grease, I bought all the stuff to deep fry Twinkies, Oreos, and (something else). The timing was off...for some reason, everyone else wanted to eat Thanksgiving dinner instead of fry Twinkies while the grease was still hot. I was at someone else' house so I couldn't put up a fuss. I'm going to try again this year.

Janine said...

When we were at the Stampede, Benjamin got the donut burger - it was pretty tasty! We also got a bloomin' onion, which is another piece of deep-fried deliciousness.

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed to eat about the recipe. preparation steps are so nice. It's great stuff. I get it some wonderful bog.

web hosting india

Yes! Yolanda said...

OMGsh I LOVE this post!! I just wrote about our fair experience today too. Although mine isn't detailed with all the great food. The burger,...o wow!! I'm dying to eat some of these pictures- LOL

gaurav said...

When we were at the Stampede, Benjamin got the donut burger - it was pretty tasty! We also got a bloomin' onion, which is another piece of deep-fried deliciousness.
small business web disign

Unknown said...

Yummy I want to taste this Deep Fried Goodies!!
Web hosting

Unknown said...

It looks too tasty.
Advertising Agency